Thursday, November 30

Ground Hog day

Do you ever feel that life is just a routine, nothing really changes and every day is like the last one and tomorrow will be like today? As someone in their mid fifties the realization of the briefness of our time on earth is beginning to strike home and all those plans I had as a young man are now distant wishes and far off dreams. As a teenager I always had a wanderlust, certain days would just make me long to be somewhere on the far side of this planet. Those days usually occured in the spring, those bright sunny days with the promise of the summer to come. I watched the series "The Long way round" last year as two men biked their way from London to America and I longed for that spirit of adventure. I have become stuck in a sedentary lifestyle where spontaneity is a thing long gone and to be shunned at all cost.


Last Fridays daily reading read-If you plan to do it-do it now

James 4:14 "For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away"

To quote from the daily reading; Redwood trees last 1000 years. Most other things go relatively fast. The average life span is between 75-80 years of age. That sounds pretty good if you're young, but tends to be sobering when you pass 50. The bible says my life is like a vapour, and vapours aren't known for longevity; just a puff of smoke and they're gone! So why am I still waiting? I don't have forever, get at it!
You say you've always wanted to play the piano. Stop talking about it and start taking lessons! You say you feel better when you exercise. Start jogging! Or that you love the taste of homegrown tomatoes- grow some.
Think you're too old? Not a chance. So get out of neutral and get going. Put your life into God's hands and let Him show you what He can do with it!

2 comments:

Lindsay & Lilian said...

"As someone in their mid fifties!" How long has this post been up?

the bald eagle said...

I'll have you all know I've another 6 months until I hit my mid fifties!