Wednesday, February 21

The aroma of childhood


I am sure that for all of us there are certain smells that immediately we come across them sends us back to a time in the past. Yesterday I was coming back from Newtownards and as we came past the silos at the docks there was this unmistakable aroma of fresh grain that had just been unloaded. As soon as I smelt it I was transported back to childhood, it was so vivid tears welled up in my eyes, that smell is so evocative to me of growing up in Belfast that it brought instant memories of events in my past where I can remember that smell. It's amazing the power of smell.

The Bible tells us that as Christians we are to have a fragrance that leaves a memory behind

2nd Corinthians chapter 2
14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big lad, I would hate to see you crying!