Saturday, August 4

To Heather (the scottish exile)

Caught an item on the national news noting the unveiling of a statue to mark the clearance of the Scottish people to Canada and I immediately thought of that member of the McLeod family abiding in Winkler, Canada.




A 10 ft statue, identical to that currently in Helmsdale, Sutherland, has been commissioned by the St Andrew's Society in Winnipeg and will be made by Black Isle Bronze. It will depict a family from the time of the Highland clearances and will be named the 'Scottish Highland Settlers Monument'

The foundry, established in 1994, was originally located in the Black Isle before moving to all-purpose facilities near Nairn. It now has an international reputation and is a key player in the casting of Heritage bronzes.




See the following pages for a more in depth story
Scotsman.com Heritage & Culture - The Highland Clearances - Salmond calls for lessons to be learned as statue to victims of Clearances unveiled
Clearances Statue from Black Isle Bronzes to Winnipeg

1 comment:

Unknown said...

gaYou kill me, and touch my heart, and make me wish I was there!!! I once asked my grandpa, a Scot from the Isle of Lewis why on earth he had settled in Manitoba...50 below in winter and mosquitoes all summer. Well, he was headed for Vancouver and ran out of money, met my grandmother (another displaced Scot) and the rest is as they say history! Love it. thanks. Heather